Monday, July 13, 2009

Mary, Mother of God, Reflection (for May Crowning)

Surely, at some point in your life, there has been or will come a time where you want to do something that you must ask your parents’ permission for.  Now, a way that some children go about this is directly related to my relationship with Mary.  The child might go to their mother to ask their father for permission.  Sure, they could just go straight to their father, but it seems like a better idea when you have someone like your mom on your side before you go and ask your dad.  With mom behind you approving your request, it feels that there is less of a chance that dad will refuse.  This is how Mary plays into my life.  I go to my spiritual mother Mary, first, and then we go to God together.

            Recently, somebody whom I was very close to passed away.  She was practically part of my family.  When I heard the news, I was shocked—I had just seen her a month ago and she seemed to be perfectly fine.  After the initial shock wore off, however, grief set in.  This was when I proceeded to go to Mary.  She knows what it is like to lose a loved one, after all.  I communicated with Mary through prayer, talked to her through prayer.  I knew that the person I had lost was not coming back, and that I would never see her again.  This realization was painful to come to, but it had to be accepted.  I knew that Mary could not do anything to bring her back, either, but I did ask her for her intercession in another matter.  I asked for her to intercede to God to help take away some of the suffering.  Not only my suffering, but the suffering of this person’s family, as well.  And when the grief was alleviated, I wanted to receive some sign that things were going to be all right.  A few hours after asking Mary to intercede these prayers to God, I knew she had listened, for suddenly, I felt a feeling of great peace.  After being wracked with sobs for hours, there was a calming, a comfort.  A wave of insight washed over me, and I knew that it was going to be ok.  I knew that I would never forget her, and she would always be with me.  I was not supposed to be sad that she died, but be happy that she had lived and always remember the memories I had of her.  I could keep her in my heart forever, and from there she would never pass away.

            Mary is our mother, and she cares for us.  She plays a major role in my life and I know that I can always go to her.  And then, we can go to her Son and God, our father, together.


No comments:

Post a Comment